Willa Holloway fell in love with her Congress Heights home when she moved in with her husband 26 years ago. They raised four children in this home built in 1945 and enjoyed the quiet neighborhood. Her husband, who was the handyman doing most repairs himself, died last year due to Covid-19.
Ms. Holloway, born and raised in DC, told Yachad that she gets offers all the time to buy her home, but "where is she going to go?" She shared with us that everything is so expensive and this is her home. She wants to stay where she is but it's challenging.
Now Ms. Holloway now shares her home with her daughter and 1-year-old grand baby. They were particularly concerned about the roof leak that was causing mold to grow on the walls and ceiling. The family pooled their money together to repair the roof, but more needs to be done. The home’s original electrical system is outdated, unsafe, and often blows fuses. With few working outlets, the family runs multiple extension cords throughout the house creating tripping hazards.
Enter Yachad. To date we have repaired the broken and faulty electrical outlets throughout the home, installing new GFI outlets where none existed, and upgrading the electrical panel, thanks to Silco Electric. The stove, which had a gas leak, was repaired, so now the family can safely cook meals again.
Yachad's Housing Navigator Program is helping the family apply for the District's weatherization services and hopefully receive a much-needed new hot water tank and double-paned windows.
Soon Yachad will secure the basement stairs, install a new handrail, and provide mold management assistance. Together we are ensuring a healthy, safe home for this family of three generations of Washingtonians.
Comments are closed.